Friday, November 21, 2008

All it takes is one phone call....

All it takes is one phone call to change your plans, your emotions and well.... your life. Yesterday I found that our friend was in the hospital with heart problems. He was just a couple of minutes away from a massive heart attack. (He is a couple years younger than I am). Things like that make you realize how short life is. Then today while at work I got a call from my sister saying that last night my mother got up and let the dog out and went to the kitchen sink and fell. She broke her left leg,it is not a normal type break... she was in surgery today for 4 hours and they had to put pins, and plates in both the tibula and the fibula. She can not move her leg for over a week and can't put any pressure on it at all for quite sometime. She will require 24 hour care. My dad is not in great health so he is not going to be able to take care of her himself.
What do you do when you live 1500 miles away? I do have sisters and a brother but I feel like I need to be there too. Thank goodness my sister has kept me up todate of what is happening on the home front. I feel just awful! I just may jump on a plane and go, who knows. That is what daughters are supposed to do right? I guess we are at that point in our life. (Hey my mothers father is still alive, he is 97 years old and lives by himself. I come from a family where most live until they are 80 + and in pretty good health. I am kind of counting on that you see). So I wait by the phone so that I can continue to get the updates. It just takes one phone call. I am grateful that it was just her leg, it could be worse. But it isn't an easy recovery for someone in their 70's.
So now the phone calls give me updated information. And yes I am thankful for phones! I just like it to be good news each time it rings.

Now for the happier side of life ... We are going to have another grandaughter on Monday. SO I am excited for that phone call, it will change our lives to. That is really mixing the sad and the happy together in just a week. I guess in life it all evens out huh?
Come on phone ring with good news!!!

4 comments:

Sue said...

I will pray for only good phone calls for ya! You are a good daughter to want to be there for your Mom...I'm sure she feels your love over the 1500 miles anyway! Chin up girl. You're very loved!

The Crace's said...

I understand! I was dying when my mom was in the hospital and I couldn't be there. Hope all goes well and good luck with the new grand baby!

lindsee said...

I kanow what you are going through, when I got the call about my dad, I wanted to be on the next flight out. but thanks to the telephone I had most of my family in Utah calling me to see what was happening. If you need anything let me know.. I love you!

Our Happy Family said...

Sorry to hear about your mom. I will keep her in my prayers.
By the way, I made the cheesecake and it was AWESOME!!!!!