Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Movies at the theatre

I don't go to the movies at the theatre very much, we usually rent movies and watch them at home snuggled up on the couch with some goodies to munch on, feet propped up and the remote in hand. It seems like an ideal date and there is no one to bother us. You can stop the movie when you need to or just turn it off if you don't like it and it is cheaper. OK I will say that the screen isn't as large but that is not a real big deal to me. And now I feel even stronger about renting after going to the theatre, here is why.
We went to see Marley & Me on Sat. Paid $9 to get in and had to find our seats in the dark ( it was about 15 minutes before the show started) we sat on the second row to the back where no one else was sitting. And waited for the movie to start... just as it started, people came in and of course they wanted to sit on our row, we got up so they could get in, people came and sat behind us, but wait that isn't all... they had the popcorn, lots of popcorn. They chomped on that stuff for more than half the movie. The guy that sat right behind Doug was Very large and he had a problem sitting in his seat, so he leaned forward the whole time and was right in our space. He felt the need to narrate the movie. Example " Oh he is going to tear that couch up! or Oh no not a good idea! Then he would throw his head back and laugh so loud that you could hardly hear the movie. I actually laughed more at him a couple of times than at what I was watching on the screen. He calmed down some at the end of the movie and at the saddest part (the end) he got up and left before the movie was over. OK I will admit that we should have gone to Little Rock to one of the nicer places, but who wants to drive 40 minutes one way to see a movie besides we were meeting Joe & Celeste for dinner in Conway. (which was a lot of fun)
I will say that I did like the movie, the book was better though. There were people in the room with little children and there were some things in the movie that were inappropriate for them to see or hear. Why do they have to put that kind or stuff in movies? But it was a feel good movie, and yes I cried a lot! Doug went with me and he wasn't so moved by it, but he was a good sport.
We will continue to rent instead of going to the theatres!

5 comments:

lindsee said...

I think it's fun to go to the movies but anymore it costs so much and by the time we pay a baby sitter you wonder if it was worth it

Janae' said...

Go NETFLIX!!! LOL.. I am losing on Dallins blog so I have to put my plug in on here, I don't even leave my house to get my movies, they come to me.. I am a stay at home movie person too..

Donan said...

I'm with Lindsee...dinner, movie and babysitter will run you just short of $70 around here. Hard to justify these days. I like to get away though...I know..babysitter and a movie out in the car! LOL

Our Happy Family said...

It's always nice to go to the theater and see the big screen, and eat hot popcorn with butter. However, it is so expensive and if the movie ends up being not what you liked I always feel like I just wasted my money. I would rather stay at home and watch one of our blockbuster movies that they send to our house. I also like just running to Redbox and then I can sit in my own house and eat whatever I want!!!
I have heard from a lot of people that the movie you watched was not the best for children in a lot of parts.

Anonymous said...

I second Netflix! We've had them for over a year and LOVE IT!! I enjoy being home more than going out. I also prefer my snacks (and they are cheaper) :)