Friday, January 16, 2009

Facebook friends

I joined the Facebook world in November just for fun. I had heard a lot about it and a co-worker told me how many people she had found from the past and I thought I would give it a try. I did it all by myself and it was really easy... within a day I had 19 request to be friends. I didn't know what to do so I played with it and figured it out, thank goodness it is pretty user friendly. Anyway I have been looking for some high school friends. I found a few and contacted them. It was fun visiting with them but there are a couple that I wrote on their wall and I never got a response. It kind of makes me feel like I did with some people in high school maybe you know the feeling, don't they like me or want to talk to me. Or maybe they just learned how to use Facebook and don't know how to respond. One of the people I wrote to is a guy I grew up with, he was in my Ward for many years. I haven't seen him since I graduated and well... I won't tell how long that has been. But he didn't respond, why? I wonder. When he saw that I wrote did my picture scare him, I don't look like the 18 year old girl that he knew with long blond hair. Oh well!
Needless to say my friend pool has grown and most of them are people in Arkansas and that is OK and most of them are much younger than I am... guess I can say that about the blogs too. But I have noticed that more people my age are catching on and joining. I think some of my kids wanted to die when they found out that their mom was on Facebook. Celeste laughed at me tonight when she saw I was checking out my profile. I asked her, "why is that funny" she didn't respond she just laughed. One of my Institute students told me she thought it was OK that I was on Facebook but she didn't like it when her mom got on it. I laughed cause I am sure my kids felt the same way.
I like it... and I will continue! My problem now is how do you find girls when you don't know their married names? And is it inappropriate to write to guys you knew that were friends? I don't want to look like a stalker. Any comments or suggestions?

4 comments:

jennifer rogers said...

if they are friends that went to school with you you can type in their school and what year they went at the bottom of the friend screen and if they have put their maiden name in their info it will pop up...hope that helped! I think it is great that you are "up with the times" I know that she is much older than you, but Joe's grandma doesn't even own a debit card and she still uses the very old polaroid cameras! We bought her a digital camera for Christmas and it is still in the box and will probably stay there! So, it is very good that you stay up with the times I think it helps keep you young!

ReNae said...

I love your picture on facebook, and I think that you look just as great as you did in high school. I also love all the pictures of the family, they are the best... I've been trying to look up some friends also, if you need any names I have my yearbook right here accesible. Most of the girls my age aren't on facebook, I've had a couple contact me, but I was telling Alene about it and she was clueless, it's our age, Tammie laughs at me too, I'm friends with alot of her friends... keep it up... Love ya...

Janae' said...

OK, I don't get facebook to be honest here. I think i must be a true blogger. I can see that it is cool for facebook to connect with old friends that way but I would worry like you do about things. I just guess I am more of a Picture taker/ Journaler so I don't understand the reason why I need to get on facebook to tell everyone that I am making dinner now for my family, or I am sleeping or I am doing homework, you know, stuff like that. At least that is what I see when I log on to check on my kids accounts. I am not saying you shouldn't have it or anything, don't get me wrong, I just don't get it ... I must be getting old... LOL..

cindy said...

I'm with Janae. I don't get it. The real problem is... I'm sure I would get addicted and I already have too much on my plate. Maybe if I figure out a way to get all my ironing done AND keep the bathrooms done AND the floors mopped, etc.... I think it's great that you and my mom are into it though. Don't feel bad about the people that don't respond. They probably just don't how to work it. OR, maybe they are trying to keep their house clean like me :)