Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Saying hello & goodbye

On Feb 1st Doug and I flew to Utah (St. George) to see Julia and our new grandson Ty Martindale Boone and family. He is a cutie! It was an amazing feeling to say hello to a new grandchild and have them placed in your arms and to feel an instant love for this sweet little blessing from God. He is perfect and I am grateful for the knowledge that he came from a beautiful peaceful place and a Heavenly Father who has an important mission for him on earth. I looked into his sweet little face and watched as he made his little squeaks and cries. I have always been amazed at babies instincts to eat, cry and want to cuddle up to their mommies. Birth of a child is a miracle!

On Feb 9 & 10 we drove to Orem Utah to visit my 97 year old grandpa. He has been a strong, vibrant and active little man and he has always be there for our family. He is a wonderful example of charity, endurance, obedience, hard work and many other great qualities. He became ill and was failing quickly, it was amazing to sit by his bedside and look into his sweet face, much more worn with wrinkles and age but still that instant ability to show his warmth and love. He knew what was happening and he was ready to go. How do you say goodbye to someone who has been there your whole life? Grandpa was there for the blessings of our children, missionary support and he sealed Doug & I and all our married children to their spouses in the Temple. He has been the family Patriarch, and a fine example of service to God and others! He grew tired and we expressed our love for each other and said our final goodbyes. I was having a hard time leaving him and his last words were "It's OK you can go, it will be alright... Heavenly Father took him home this morning, he finished his mission here on earth. It is so comforting to know that grandpa is having the greatest reunion in the Spirit World. Death is a miracle too! I felt the sweet spirit in both the hello and the goodbye!

I love you and will miss you Grandpa Royle!

6 comments:

Janae' said...

Ok, It is too early in the morning for me to cry, but I am still did I am so sorry.. :(

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Your family is in our prayers.

lindsee said...

I love you and if you need anything please let me know. but what a life he lived and its such a blessing to know that there is eternal families!

Katie said...

I just looked at Julia's blog and saw the new pictures of Ty. He is so beautiful! And I love the picture of you holding him...you look so happy.

I'm so sorry to hear about Grandpa Royle. He seems to have been such a strength to your entire family. My thoughts are with you.

Katie said...

Sister Martindale,
Reading your hello and goodbye was such a good reminder of how short our time on earth really is. We have such a short period of time "to prove ourselves". It also made me think of Grandpa Sherwood and how old he is getting. Makes me sad to think about. Sorry our paths did not get to cross over the holiday. You know I love your classes.
I am excited for Julia. Every little one that comes here is such a miracle. I miss all my little miracle there in AR.
Hope you are well.
Katie

Sue said...

Thank you for sharing such a sweet and tender moment with all of us. He sounds like an awesome Grandpa and man of God. I am sorry for your loss but know you will be with him again and won't it be just as sweet!