Friday, December 5, 2008

The joys of Christmas

This is my most favorite time of year. I find joy in the small things like Christmas music, Christmas cards, special treats (food), the excitement of the faces of people opening gifts, the simple greeting of "Merry Christmas", the feeling of service in the air, all the parties, the decorations and lights. This is a time when I miss my children being little and getting excited for santa, and the traditions that we had. Oh the memories of years gone by... Here are a few as a child and as a young mother with children.
When I was about 8 my grandpa (who was widowed) came to spend the night with us on Christmas Eve (family tradition). My parents hid our present at the neighbors house 3 doors down. The gift was a Tandem bike for my sister and I. My dad and grandpa went down the street to get the bike about midnight, the story is told of dad and grandpa riding the bike up the street together in the snow and ice, with the bright moon lighting their way, mom tells the story of the priceless sight as they slipped and almost fell several times. Course we didn't know this until a couple of years later after we found out about the real Santa. But I will never forget coming in the room and seeing that blue bycicle built for two sitting there. I will also never forget the look on my parents and grandpa Miller's face as we screamed and danced around it. Little did I know that they had already taken a spin on it before we did. (Mom and dad still have that bike in there garage)
As a mom I remember many Christmas' but one in particular stands out... we lived in Laramie Wyoming. We went to cut down our own Christmas tree in the freezing cold and deep snow. The guys did the cutting and the girls sat in the warm car with the hot chocolate. We got out to tell them which tree then jumped back in the car. We must of thought we had a 20 foot ceiling cause we had to cut the tree down several times to fit it on the car and in the house. We had Christmas a day early (the kids didn't really know the difference)so we could travel to Salt Lake for Christmas with extended family. This was a 6 hour drive in a small Ford Broncho. (seat belt laws weren't in effect and yes we were dumb but it was the only dependable care we had). We made the trip singing, laughing (little fighting) along the way. For some reason I remember just being in that small space with all the people I love and feeling joy and love for each child and a good husband. What else is there? What is your favorite Christmas memory?

5 comments:

Lindsee said...

I remember the year that we put up three christmas trees. we had bought a tree from a christmas tree lot and it died on us, so my parents got another one and it died a few days before christmas they wanted to give up but I begged them to just get one more just a little one and so they did. that was the last year that we had a live tree!

Our Happy Family said...

My favorite Christmas memories are of my Aunt staying with us on Christmas Even night. It was one of her last Christmas's before she passed away of leukemia. She came into bed with us kids and told us she thought she heard Santa on our roof, so we better get to bed. Oh we were all so excited and were giggling all night with her.

Mary G. said...

Aah, the beautiful Christmas memories. Both of those stories you shared were wonderful! The one about the tandem bike was hilarious. I remember the year my siblings and I got silly string for Christmas. All four cans were used up in a matter of minutes. LOL.

Veda said...

I loved Christmas time and all of the special stories that are shared! Thanks!

SandyKay said...

Hey, so nice to hear a little about you guys! I love the image of your dad and granddad slipping down the road on a tandem bike in the middle of the night..

Any chance Jaren and/or Julia will be in town this Christmas?? I'll be there for about a week with my family. I'd love to see them if they're around. It's been FOREVER.